Cold and zingy, these vegan iced desserts are the perfect summer recipe. Ideal as a post BBQ palate cleanser, to impress at a dinner party, or just to help you cool off!
If you’re looking for a quicker recipe you can turn them into lollies – just tip the granita liquid into lolly moulds and then pop the char-grilled pineapple in before freezing. Or, why not add a splash of rum and turn into a tropical cocktail?
You can make a large batch and keep in the freezer for summer!
- 100g sugar
- 300ml water
- 800ml pineapple juice
- 1 pineapple
- Left over squeezed lemons and limes
- Combine the water and sugar in a pan and dissolve over a low heat while stirring.
- Meanwhile prep the pineapple. Top and tail, peel away the skin and discard. Cut the pineapple into quarters through the core. Cut the core away, so that you are only left with pineapple flesh. Set aside.
- Do not discard the core, add this to the base syrup along with any other leftover squeezed lemons, limes or tropical fruit peelings.
- Once it has come to the boil, allow to cool, strain, and stir in the Pineapple juice.
- Taste and adjust seasoning/sweetness.
- Pour into a container and freeze for 2-3 hours. Once frozen, flake with a fork by scraping away and re-freeze.
- Cut the pineapple flesh into bite-sized pieces suitable for the glasses you are serving in. Chargrill the pineapple either on the BBQ at the beginning before you cook the meat, or in a griddle pan on the stove.
- Allow the pineapple to char and colour, place in the fridge until needed.
- To serve, fork up the granita again, divide into glasses or small bowls and garnish with a few pieces of charred pineapple.