Everyone knows Alex Head bloomin’ loves a sharing salad and this winter combo has the perfect balance of crunchy croutons, natural colour and tasty veg. Add in as much colour as you can, one rule with this recipe is that you MUST freestyle, include any gorgeous veg you can get your hands on.
Serves 1 big bowl to feed 6 – 8.
Batch 1: ROASTED
1 Sweet Potato
1 Small Butternut Squash
1 Bunch Rosemary
Batch 2: RAW / CRISP
2 Purple Carrots Ribbons
2 Raw Beets (golden works perfectly)
Batch 3: GREEN
100g Shredded Kale
100g Baby Spinach
100g Mixed Leaf
Malden Sea Salt
1 330ml Bottle Rapeseed Oil
20ml Lemon Juice
3 Garlic Cloves
200g Stale Bread Loaf (sourdough I totally love)
Jam Jar Dressing:
3 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Balsamic
1 Tsp Whole Grain Mustard
1 pinch Salt
1 pinch Sugar
- Heat the oven to 200C
- Batch 1: Leave the vegetables unpeeled, just give them a good wash and chop into the same size pieces and place in a baking tray with rosemary stalks. Cover in oil, salt and pepper and roast until tender – 30 – 40 mins.
- Batch 2: Using a peeler gently peel the purple carrots creating ribbons and leave aside.
- Gently slice the beetroot into thin discs, a mandolin is great to get even slices. Place these on a baking tray, drizzle with oil and salt and bake until crisp.
- Batch 3: Cut the sprouts in half, keep any leaves that fall off as they can still be used. In a frying pan, pan fry the sprouts and Romanesco until slightly browned, add in salt and pepper. Leave aside when the vegetables are brown but still have a good crunch and good colour.
- While the vegetables are cooking wash and chop the kale into small pieces, drizzle with lemon juice and massage it into the leaves, this takes away the bitter taste. Season.
- In a large bowl wash the mixed leaves and spinach.
- Peel the garlic clove and rub it over the bread, then make the croutons by cutting the bread into large 1inch squares. Place in a bowl and generously drizzle oil over the bread and using your hand rub it into the bread. Generously season with salt. Place in the oven and cook for 20mins or until golden brown.
- In a jam jar, mix all the dressing ingredients and shake like nobody is watching!
- Build the salad from the bottom up on a huge platter: kale, leaf, roasted veg, green veg, raw veg, sprinkle with croutons and cover with dressing.
- Enjoy again and again for lunch the next day.