In celebration of #UKCoffeeWeek, we’ve been recipe testing in the kitchen this week and adding a little caffeine to some of our dishes. Using coffee in savoury dishes is a fantastic way to add depth and introduce something a different to your menu. We’ve been pimping up our standard Eggs Benedicts with the addition of an Espresso Hollandaise – with a long weekend on the horizon, there’s plenty of time to try this out and cook brunch for your friends and family.
1 egg yolk
100g warm clarified butter
3 ml very strong, good quality coffee
- Place the yolk in a medium size bowl.
- Put the bowl over a pan of gently simmering water and whisk the yolk until it becomes lighter in colour.
- Gradually add the clarified butter to the egg yolk, whisking thoroughly as you go (top tip: if the mixture gets too hot starts to split, drop an ice cube into the mix).
- Once the butter is fully incorporated, remove from the heat and add the coffee.
- Whisk continuously until the mixture has thickened and is a smooth consistency.
- Serve warm with poached eggs and fresh, toasted bread.