We have a lovely new, award-winning stockist, Galeta, at our Social Pantry cafe in Battersea on Lavender Hill. They supply the cafe with hand-made
cakes, cookies, tarts and macarons,
all made from 100% natural ingredients.
For anyone that doesn’t know, what is Galeta and what do you produce?
– Galeta is an artisan bakery based in Hackney Wick, baking fresh, handmade breakfast pastries and sweet treats such as our award winning Pastel de Nata’s, Cookies and Cakes.
What was the initial inspiration behind Galeta?
– Our director, Ben Stone, used to work for a bakery and was surprised at the lack of vibrant colours, decent sizes and natural ingredients on the bakery market. He also wanted a bakery that would offer exceptional customer service and interaction, with a 7 day a week operation, next day delivery service and a low minimum order. Galeta can now deliver to various different companies of all sizes – Whether it’s a coffee cart or Museum!
What are the core values of Galeta?
– Galeta’s core values are to provide consistently delicious handmade baked goods, that are big, gooey with contrasting colours, textures and taste. Delivered everyday for a low minimum order.
What has been Galeta’s greatest achievement to date?
– Galeta has had many great achievements over the seven years of operation, garnering many Great Taste Awards, moving to a larger bakery unit and delivering to over 250 London customers a day! At the moment, as we gain further in popularity and introducing new and seasonal products, each week we are breaking new records on the amount of deliveries, customers invoiced and turnover.
What is the biggest challenge you face on a day-to-day basis and how do you overcome this?
– As soon as we stop taking orders, we are baking throughout that day and into the night. We then deliver from midnight into the early hours of the morning. So, anything can potentially occur from an oven malfunction to a broken down van. Fortunately, we have a strong team that will do all it can to rectify the situation as quickly and efficiently as possible.
From one business to another, what advice would you give your other entrepreneurs wanting to start their own company
– Don’t let the product suffer on quality for quantity. Implement the infrastructure to grow as a business and don’t forget why you set up the company – remember your values!
What does the future have in store for Galeta?
– We are continually developing new and exciting recipes and products that we can introduce. We have just introduced three varieties of mince pies, a new Orange and Cranberry Loaf and delicious Cinnamon Nata’s!
Have you noticed any exciting emerging food trends for the next year or so?
– For the market we are in, high quality Vegan and GF baked goods are always sought after. We already have an extensive range, but will continue to develop more exciting recipes for next year!
If we came to Galeta HQ for lunch, what dish (or dishes!) would you serve?
– We would have to offer you our best selling and award winning Pastel de Nata’s! (The Raspberry won two stars in the Great Taste Awards!!) If you have room, squeeze in our GF & Vegan Peanut Butter Blondie, we have never known anything more moreish…! Well, perhaps our GF Salted Caramel Brownie!