As featured in Stylist Magazine, our Charcoal Pancake recipe has been hitting the headlines. If you’re looking to jazz up your standard lemon & sugar flavour combo this Pancake Day, this is the recipe for you…
Makes 10 Medium Pancakes
50g Unsalted Butter
200g Plain Flour
8g Baking Powder
A pinch of Sea Salt
14g Icing Sugar
3 Free Range Egg Yolks
1 Teaspoon of Vanilla Essence
65g Buttermilk (or yoghurt)
130g Semi Skimmed Milk
50g Double Cream
3 Free Range Egg Whites
2g Activated Charcoal Powder
25g Salted Butter
50g Caster Sugar
5g Lemon Zest
Juice of 1 Lemon
1 Free Range Egg
1 Free Range Egg Yolk
Soft Whipped Vanilla Cream
200ml Double Cream
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Essence
15g Icing Sugar
- Gently melt the butter and place aside.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and icing sugar into a large bowl and add sea salt.
- Add the egg yolks, milk and buttermilk.
- Whisk in until well mixed, add the cream and continue to mix in.
- Stir in the melted butter and vanilla and whisk in the activated charcoal.
- Whisk the egg whites to soft peaks then fold into the batter.
- Cook by frying in a non stick pan with sunflower oil
- Gently melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Add the caster sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Whisk the eggs together by hand and add to the saucepan mix.
- Stir over a gentle heat until the mixture coats the back of a spoon (be patient as it does take a little while. If you cook too quickly, the eggs can scramble)
- Remove from heat and pour into a bowl, allow to cool.
- Put the double cream into a clean bowl and whisk by hand.
- Whisk until just beginning to become stiff, sieve over icing sugar and fold in the vanilla essence.
Top tip: Serve with your favourite seasonal berry and a lovely sprinkling of icing sugar.