Eggy bread without the eggs?! we hear you say…
This Veganuary, we’ve come up with a special plant based Vegan French Toast Recipe. So, whether or not you’re trying Veganuary this vegan version of brunch favourite is not to be missed.
Pop into one of our cafe-restaurant’s Soane’s Kitchen in Ealing, Crane’s Kitchen in Peckham, or Social Pantry Cafe in Battersea to try it. Or impress your friends and family by making a vegan brunch at home.
Vegan French Toast Recipe
Ingredients: (for 4)
French Toast Ingredients
200gr ripe banana
1 tspn of cinnamon (or to taste)
300ml Coconut Milk
60ml pure maple syrup
8 slices of bread – choose your favourite
Oil for frying
To Serve With
Seasonal Berry Compote or Jam
Something Crunchy – we used a nut brittle, but you could substitute in your favourite granola or toasted seeds
- Preheat oven to 160C
- Blitz all French Toast ingredients, apart from bread and oil, in a food processor until smooth
- Soak the bread in the mixture, turning over when fully soaked in
- Bake the toast in the oven for 5-10minutes, to firm toast up
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry until golden brown on each side
- Enjoy with a dollop of compote, coconut yoghurt, and a sprinkle of something crunchy!
ZERO WASTE TIPS…
This recipe is a great way to use up over-ripe bananas. You can make a fruit compote out of any fruit that’s in season and then freeze it for a later date. It’s a great way to preserve summer berries and soft fruits.