Smoked Mackerel Panzanella
Perfect to make a park picnic or weekend lunch that extra bit special.
15 Heritage Tomatoes, difference shapes, colours and sizes
2 Red Onions
2 tbsp Belazu Riesling Vinegar
2 tbsp Lilliput mini capers, drained and rinsed
1 Pack Basil
1 Small Tin Piquillo Peppers, drained and sliced
3 x Smoked Mackerel Fillets, skin and blood line removed and flaked into large pieces.
2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C Fan.
- Peel and cut the red onions into wedges with the root attached. Lay onto a baking tray with baking paper and drizzle with olive oil, a little balsamic vinegar and sea salt.
- Roast for 8-10 minutes until caramelised, immediately clingfilm the whole tray and allow to steam and then cool down naturally.
- Wash and dry the heritage tomatoes and cut into funky chunks.
- To assemble, combine the tomatoes, peppers, red onion, capers, basil leaves torn and stalks finely chopped, riesling vinegar, olive oil to coat and sea salt to season.
- Check seasoning and add more salt or sweet vinegar according to the tomatoes you are using.
Pile onto individual or a sharing platter and top with the smoked mackerel. Top with more Basil leaves for garnish. Serve.