Affogato with Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream
We are ready, and waiting, for the summer months and weather to roll on in! This Affogato recipe is simple, a fun crowd pleaser and the perfect after BBQ treat. We’d obviously recommend serving it with Redemption Roasters coffee!
The ice cream can be kept in the freezer for 3 months. Use good quality strong coffee or espresso if you have a machine at home. This is a very simple Affogato recipe, it can easily be altered by using a little chocolate or flavoured ice cream.
(Makes 1 litre)
- 500ml Double Cream
- 1 Vanilla Pod
- 100g Caster Sugar
- 150ml Water
- 4 Free Range Egg Yolks
- 50ml Hot Strong Coffee or Espresso
- Place the double cream in a pan and heat over a medium-high heat. Bring the heat up to an almost boil, and then take off the heat straight away. Open the vanilla pod and scrap out the seeds, add both the seeds and the pod to the pan of cream.
- In another pan, over a low heat, dissolve the sugar into the water. Once all the sugar has dissolved, turn up the heat and boil until you have a sticky syrup. Put a plate in the fridge, to test the syrup drop a little of the syrup on the cold plate. If it forms a thread between your fingers, it is ready! Leave to cool for just one minute.
- In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks with an electric whisk and immediately start drizzling the hot syrup onto the egg yolks, little by little.
- Whisk until light and fluffy, then remove the vanilla pod and whisk in the cream.
- Pour straight into an ice cream machine and churn. If you don’t have an ice cream machine pour into a container and place in the freezer, mix every 2 hours until its stiff.
- To make the affogato, use 50ml hot coffee or espresso per portion and 1 scoop of vanilla ice cream. Pour the coffee into the bottom of a glass and put the scoop of ice cream on top, enjoy as the ice cream melts into the coffee.