Salted Honey and Apple Tart
There is something so satisfying about making your own pastry so if you have time, this recipe is a great one. This recipe originally developed from a wedding client’s Mum who gave shared her secret recipe for an incredible honey tart. We’ve added in the apple and pistachio to give some contrast to the sweetness and crunch. Enjoy!
Either make the pastry or buy good quality readymade shortcrust pastry.
Full recipe makes 24cm Loose bottomed Pie Dish or Tart Case.
250g Plain Flour
110g Cubed Cold Butter
4-6 tbsp Cold Water
125g Melted Butter
125g Caster Sugar
28g Fine Semolina
5 Medium Eggs
175g Double Cream
1 tsp Vanilla Extract or 1 pod
2 tsp Maldon Sea Salt Flakes
2 Small Eating Apples
2 tbsp Brown Sugar
25g Green Pistachios, lightly roasted and crushed
To make the pastry:
- Using a food processor, blend the cold butter with the plain flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the water and bring the dough together quite quickly. Try not to over mix or knead the dough.
- Wrap in cling film, beeswax wraps or place in an airtight container and allow to rest for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Lightly grease and flour the dish and set aside, lightly flour the surface and roll out the cold pastry large enough to fit the dish or till it is about 3mm thick evenly all over.
- Line the tart case, trim the edges, fill with baking paper and baking beans and blind bake at 160C Fan for 25-30 minutes or until evenly cooked and lightly golden. Remove the baking beans and bake for another 5 minutes to finish off if needed.
- Allow to cool, turn the oven down to 150C Fan and prepare the Honey filling.
For the filling:
- In a standing mixer with the whisk attached, combine the melted butter, sugar, flour and semolina.
- Whisk together until thickened.
- Add the honey and vanilla and whisk again for 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs and whisk again.
- Turn the mixer down to the slowest speed, add the cream slowly, until it is just combined.
- Pour the pie filling into the pastry case and bake on 150C Fan for 40-50 minutes, or until the filling is wobbly but set.
- As soon as the pie comes out the oven, sprinkle with the Maldon sea salt flakes and allow to cool naturally.
- Meanwhile, remove the core from the apples and slice thinly, toss in a bowl with 1 tbsp brown sugar. Lay out on a tray and roast in the oven for 10-15 minutes until tender but firm, turn throughout cooking.
- When ready to serve either top the tart with apple slices and sprinkle with the pistachio or slice per portion and serve alongside.