Christmas may be over, but brussel sprouts are still in season. Our blood orange and sprout salad is a fresh take on eating leftovers, and slightly healthier!
It is the perfect side to enjoy with the last of your Christmas chicken, but we highly recommend with some bavette steak.
Serves 4-6 (as a side salad)
500g Brussel sprouts
3 oranges, zested before peeled
3 tbsp honey
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Handful mint leaves
1 small radicchio
1 small bag Beetroot leaves or any other non bitter salad leaf
25g Toasted and crushed walnuts and/or hazelnuts
25g Toasted breadcrumbs, from stale/leftover bread ends
- Fill a pan with water a put onto a high heat to boil. Prep the sprouts, wash and peel a few of the dirty outer leaves from the Brussel sprouts and halve through the root.
- Once the water is boiling, cook the sprouts for 5 minutes, drain, run under cold water and leave aside. You can also enjoy the sprouts raw.
- With a knife, peel the skin and pith (the white parts) from the oranges and segments. Squeeze the leftover orange juice into a small bowl and discard the skin
- Measure the honey and balsamic into the bowl with the blood orange juice and mix together
- In a non-stick frying pan on a high heat, add in the oil and fry the sprouts until a golden colour
- Add in the honey and orange juice and mix together with the sprouts in the pan, allow to bubble away on a high heat still so that they become coated with the sticky sweet glaze
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool
- Prep the radicchio by removing the stem from the centre and cutting or tearing into small bite sized pieces, toss in a bowl with the other salad leaves, mint and orange segments
- Once cool, mix the spouts with the salad leaves, add all the dressing from the pan
- Pile into a salad bowl and top with the toasted walnuts, hazelnuts and toasted breadcrumbs just before serving
- Serve on a very stylish plate and enjoy!
Zero waste elements:
- Breadcrumbs from leftover bread ends.
- Zest and Juice from the blood oranges used in dressing.
- Keep the skin, remove the white pith and boil in sugar syrup