Who said the 31st of October is just for Kids?
Ahead of Halloween our Head Chef has created this deliciously grown-up recipe of Roasted Pumpkin Gnocchi with Sage Pesto for our good friends at Habitat.
You Will Need…
For the pumpkin gnocchi:
- 500g of French pumpkin
- 100g ‘00’ flour
- 2 egg yolks
- 50g finely grated Parmesan
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
For the sage Pesto:
- 1 bunch sage
- 50g toasted pine nuts
- 100g finely grated Parmesan
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Pinch sea salt
- Lemon zest
For the garnish:
- Blanched cavolo nero
- Toasted pumpkin seeds
- Shaved Parmesan
- First, make the gnocchi. Cut the French pumpkin into segments, rub with olive oil and salt and roast at 180C until the flesh is tender. Scoop pumpkin into a bowl and discard the skin.
- Using a potato ricer, push the pumpkin into a large bowl. To remove excess moisture, hang the mixture in a muslin cloth in the fridge overnight.
- Remove from the fridge and gently warm in a saucepan over a medium heat. Once heated through, take the pan off the heat and gently mix in both egg yolks.
- Slowly add the flour and parmesan until the mixture comes together to form a soft dough.
- Flour the surface and roll the dough into a sausage shape. Use a sharp knife to cut the gnocchi into 1 inch pieces.
- In a large saucepan, bring salted water to the boil. Cook the gnocchi until it rises to the surface, remove and place into ice cold water.
- Next, make the pesto. Place the sage leaves into a food pressor, blend with the lemon zest, parmesan and pine nuts. Slowly add oil as required to obtain a thick pesto. Season to taste.
- To plate the dish, add the cooked gnocchi to a hot frying pan with a tablespoon of oil until lightly browned. Add a knob of butter, a large spoon of pesto and blanched cavolo nero.
- Serve on a beautiful plate with freshly shaved parmesan, toasted pumpkin seeds and a drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil.