Who doesn’t love a tart? Summer has come to and end and the weather is shifting towards a beautiful autumnal orange. What better way than to celebrate with a warming, fresh nectarine tart that encompasses this wonderful season.
Check out Social Pantry’s recipe below and learn how to make this great dessert, afternoon snack or if your feeling cheeky even have it for midnight snack…
For the pastry:
200g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
2 tbsp caster sugar
150g unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
2-4 tbsp ice cold water, from the fridge
For the filling:
50g ground almonds
2 tbsp caster sugar
½ tsp ground cardamom
2 tbsp honey for drizzling
Vanilla Ice cream, for serving
- Make the pastry first. Combine the flour, sugar and cold butter in a food processor and blitz till the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add 2 tbsp of ice cold water and blitz again, add water until you can bring the dough together in your hands.
- Knead very briefly, being careful not to over work the dough.
- Wrap well in cling film and rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile de-stone and slice the peaches. Set aside.
- Mix together the rest of the dry filling ingredients.
- Pre-heat the oven to 160C fan.
- Once rested, roll out the pastry onto a lightly floured surface, once the sides have been folded in by 4cm the tart must fit onto a large flat baking tray.
- Lift the pastry onto the baking tray, with baking paper underneath and allow to hangover the sides while you fill the tart centre.
- Spread out the almond, sugar, cardamom mix and lay out the peach slices decoratively on top. Fold over the pastry rustically just like in the picture.
- Brush the exposed pastry with milk or egg wash and bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes or until the pastry is crisp and golden and cooked through on the base, the peaches should be soft and caramelised.
- Drizzle with a little honey and either enjoy warm with ice cream or allow to cool.