I love this salad and will often cook it when having friends round for a good old catch up as it is always impressive. This salad is really moreish, a great salad to pop in the middle of the table and to let guests go back for more throughout the meal. Recipe from our Founder Alex Head.
18 baby carrots (orange & purple) – keep whole 3 broccoli stalks, sliced
1 punnet cherry tomatoes
480g wild rice
1 tbsp sunflower seeds
2 tbsp chopped mint
1⁄2 bunch basil leaves, torn
Zest of 1 lemon
Maldon sea salt
Cracked black pepper
- Cut the avocados into quarters removing the skins and then lightly grill them on a griddle until marked and leave aside.
- Lightly wash the carrots from any lose dirt and grill them until marked and leave aside to cool.
- Slice the broccoli stalks into 0.5cm thick rounds, I love keeping the broccoli raw to add a lovely crunch to the salad.
- Halve the cherry tomatoes and then roast them in the oven for 8-10 minutes at 200 ̊c or until cooked.
- Cook the rice according to packet instructions and leave to cool.
- Chop the herbs, zest the lemon and mix through the rice.
- Add in the tomatoes, broccoli stalks, avocado, carrots and seeds to the rice mix.
- Season to taste and serve on a gorgeous plate.
- Keep a few avocado slices to place on top, drizzle over the tahini dressing and enjoy!
TAHINI DRESSING INGREDIENTS
3 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp water
2 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic gloves, crushed Maldon sea salt, to taste Cracked black pepper
- Blend all of the ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Season to taste and serve. You might need to add more olive oil to loosen the consistency.