At Social Pantry Cafe, throughout the week, we have delicious daily changing seasonal salad bowls that are always a hit with the lunchtime folk. Our aim is to always keep them exciting – Alex Head follows a few golden rules when creating a salad recipe to creating a winning formula:
- Start by choosing a grain – this will be the base for your salad
- Always add a cheese or seed for texture and crunch
- You can never have too many veggies in a salad – see what needs using up in the fridge, then fry it, keep it raw or pan fry to keep your salad interesting
If all of the above seems a bit too tricky to master, just give our Ginger & Garlic Sweet Potato salad a go – it’s a great one for the lunchbox…
Ingredients for one big sharing platter
250g sweet potatoes
100g butternut squash
150g roasted red onions
100g pearl barley
1 bag baby spinach sliced into strips
1 handful of rocket leaves
125g slow roasted tomatoes (140 degrees for 1 hr)
1 garlic clove
1/2 tbsp minced ginger
1tbsp garam masala
1 tsp onion seeds
1tbsp coriander finely chopped
- Roast sweet potato and butternut squash at 180 until brown
- Put 1tbsp vegetable oil into a frying pan and gently heat, then add garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant. Add dry spices for a couple of seconds then remove from heat and stir through sweet potato.
- Pan roast red onion ½ moons in oil & seasoning until tender
- Cook pearl barley in veg stock until tender to taste.
- Thinly slice spinach into ribbons and mix through the barley with the rocket
- Toss everything together
- Season to taste
- Garnish with micro cress and onion seeds, sliced fresh chilli
- Serve on a great plate which looks gorgeous.
TIP: a drizzle of yogurt and pomegranate seeds can really bring this to life.
TIME SAVING TIP: cook all your vegetables and barley the day before and just throw together on the day.