Now that the Spring season is upon us, it’s time to choose our favourite seasonal fruit or vegetable this month. We’ve put together a list of the best fresh produce for the Spring season.
For April we have picked our favourite; the constantly reliable and always versatile Rhubarb. Perfect for pies or parfait, Rhubarb is the ideal vegetable to kick off the spring months.
Our favourite rhubarb recipe for this season is this Orange Poached Rhubarb. We’ve included the recipe for this gorgeous dish so you can try it yourself.
Orange Poached Rhubarb
Growing Rhubarb in the vegetable patch was one of the first memories of mine and stewed rhubarb with a dollop of clotted cream was always a mega summer holiday treat.
I still, to this, day love it. For so many reasons it has stayed in my top 10 ingredients. It is versatile, super quick and beautifully tasty.
Serve the below recipe with a meringue for a gorgeous end to a lovely meal or if you need a quick breakfast fix you can always enjoy the left overs with yoghurt.
- 750 g Rhubarb, trimmed and chopped
- Juice and zest 1 large orange or 2 blood oranges if in season
- 110g golden caster sugar
- 1 large piece stem ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
250 ml natural yoghurt, 1 tub of clotted cream or a delicious meringue
Dusting of icing sugar
- Place the chopped rhubarb in a medium-sized, heavy bottom saucepan with the orange juice and zest, sugar, 2 tablespoons of water and the ginger.
- Slowly bring to the boil, turn down the heat and allow to simmer for 5 minutes until the rhubarb is soft and cooked, but still holds its shape.
- Serve the warm rhubarb topped on a delicious meringue with a sprinkle of icing sugar.