It’s officially summer so let’s make sure what’s on your plate is seasonal and fit for June – here’s our top tips on how to eat with the seasons this month…
With Wimbledon on the cards, we’ve chosen British strawberries as our showstopping favourite seasonal produce this month. There’s nothing quite like spotting the first punnets of Strawberries popping up at your local farmer’s market to get you excited for the summer months ahead.
Traditionally, the Strawberry season is short and lasts just as long as the British summertime so make sure you make the most of this flavourful fruit whilst they’re at their best. Strawberries are the perfect addition to a summer pudding, from an Eton Mess to a Fruit Salad, the options are endless.
Five facts you never knew about Strawberries…
- Strawberries are the only fruit that have seeds on the outside.
- Strawberries are a member of the Rose family.
- There’s a museum in Belgium dedicated to Strawberries…!
- Technically, Strawberries aren’t actually berries, they’re accessory fruits.
- The Strawberry plant is a perennial – year on year, you’ll always be able to rely on your Strawberry plant to grow back again.
Although team SP are huge fan of Strawberries, there are also plenty of other amazing veggies that shine through in June. Pack your salads with Watercress and Rocket – both of which have a peppery flavouring which will add an interesting element to the dish – and use Radishes and Summer Peas to add a pop of colour to your plate.