What I love most about courgettes is how versatile they are, they taste great whether they are eaten raw, roasted, grilled or blanched and are a definite staple in a lot of my dinner party dishes. This Courgette salad uses both raw and grilled courgettes, giving the dish two gorgeous tastes. The smoky flavour of the griddled courgette and the light, crispy crunch of the raw ribbons.
1 can chickpeas
½ bunch mint
1 bag rocket
1 bag spinach washed
½ bag of kale
1 tablespoon of olive oil
Cracked black pepper
150g soft ricotta cheese
- Heat up a griddle pan.
- Slice one courgette into 1/2cm thick slices and in a bowl, drizzle with oil.
TIP: Always oil the element going onto the griddle and never the griddle itself as the oil will just burn off.
- When the grilled is hot, griddle the courgette pieces on both sides and leave aside.
TIP: Slicing the courgette at an angle looks far more impressive in the salad
- Wash the spinach and rocket and leave aside in a bowl large enough to mix the whole salad in.
- You can either use the griddle or heat up a frying pan to cook the kale. Place the kale on the heat. Keep turning the kale so that it evenly cooks, it will start glowing a gorgeous green when all cooked.
- Pull off the heat and leave aside.
- Drain the chickpeas and leave over the sink in a sieve for 5 minutes until properly drained.
- Mix the chickpeas through the salad leaves
- Slice the chili and add to the salad leaves.
- Using a peeler create long courgette ribbons and mix through the salad bowl.
- Chop the mint and mix through the salad.
- When the courgette and kale is cool, mix through the salad.
- Zest the lemon over the salad and dress the salad with the juice of ½ the lemon and a drizzle of good quality olive oil.
- Mix the dressing and zest through the salad
- Season the salad with a good pinch of salt and pepper, place in the serving bowl.
- Crumble / spoon the cheese over the top of the salad.