We are loving January for all of the healthy recipes, cosy evenings and early nights. This is the perfect winter warmer for a quick and easy weeknight supper.
Chicken and Udon Noodle Miso Broth with Mushrooms, Greens and Crispy Garlic
This is a perfect recipe for a working from home lunch, using up leftover chicken, stock and veggies from your Sunday roast. Warm, healthy and wholesome. Its a good base from which you can easily alter to suit what you have at home. Sometimes I add dried chilli flakes or hot sauce to spice it up!
- 600ml Chicken Stock
- 3 tsp Brown Miso
- 1 x punnet Wild Mushrooms
- A few handfuls of leftover greens, we used savoy cabbage but you could use broccoli, green beans, pak choi etc.
- 300g Cooked Udon Noodles
- 300g Cooked Shredded Chicken, we used the leg meat leftover from a roast chicken
- 1 tbsp Sesame Seeds, toasted
- 2 x Garlic Cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 x bunch Coriander
- 1 x Lime
- Light Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
- Heat the leftover chicken stock in a pan, once its simmering spoon in the miso paste and whisk until fully dissolved. Turn the heat down to keep it hot but not boiling.
- In a frying pan, heat 1 tbsp oil on a high heat and fry the mushrooms for 3-5 minutes with a sprinkle of sea salt. Along with any other green veg you have leftover!
- Move the mushrooms and greens to one side and fry the garlic slices off until golden and crispy. Remove the garlic as soon as they are done and drain on a piece of kitchen paper.
- Follow the udon noodle packet instructions to heat through. I add the noodles and shredded chicken to the hot miso broth and heat through all together, the noodles will suck up the broth so add some more hot water if needed.
- When you are ready to serve, divide the noodles and chicken across 2 bowls. Fill up with the broth, build up with the mushrooms, greens and a few stems of coriander. You can chop the coriander and stir through if you prefer. Finish with toasted sesame seeds, crispy garlic and a really good squeeze of fresh lime juice.