When I first arrived in London 10 years ago, grabbing a basket and jumping on the bus to Borough Market was a weekly activity. Now, it is a rare treat but always such an enjoyable pleasure. When asked to put together a recipe for Soho Radio for the brilliant Aldo Zilli show, I headed off to Borough Market to have some fun and see what inspired me.
I always love a salad and wanted to make the most of Blood Oranges before it heads out of season. Borough Market is the perfect place to pick up plenty of leafy greens to accompany the Blood Orange. After choosing Purple Kale, Covolo Nero, Purple Sprouting Broccoli and some Mixed Leaves the salad was coming together nicely. However, to make it really stand out and radio worthy, I wanted to run some cheese through the salad and Borough Market offers plenty of fantastic cheeses to buy. In all honesty, it was hard to choose between the Mozzarella, Burrata and Ricotta as they would have all been brilliant. After buying all three, (I am well known for loving cheese so I knew they would be put to good use) the ricotta was simply too good to leave out. The ricotta, was stunning, slightly sweet and salty and a soft texture which would be great to contrast with the seeds.
- Segments of two blood oranges
- 1 head of endive
- 100g purple sprouting broccoli
- 100g purple kale
- 100g good quality ricotta
- 100g mixed leaf salad
- 100g cavolo nero
- 1 handful of sunflower seeds
- 20ml good quality olive oil for the dressing
Prepare your vegetables as they will be cooked together.
- BROCCOLI: Trim any woody stem ends or tough leaves with a knife. Divide into small, individual florets, each with a short stem, and diagonally slice the thicker stems. Rinse under cold water.
- CAVOLO NERO: Remove old or damaged outer leaves, cut the leaves free of the core and slice out any tough central stalks. Rinse, then chop or slice.
- KALE: Break the kale leaves from the stalk and boil in simmering water for 2 minutes.
Bring a large pan of water to the boil, add in the broccoli first, after two minutes add in the cavolo nero and then for the last two minutes add in the kale. Drain and rinse in cold water.
Gently segment the oranges over a bowl so the juice can be kept and used as a dressing.
In a bowl mix the cold vegetables, salad leaves, ricotta, orange segments and sliced endive.
Mix the orange juice and oil together and dress the salad just before serving.
Serve in a gorgeous bowl, sprinkle over the seeds and enjoy!